North Korea says it is still open to talks with the United States after President Donald Trump called off a summit with leader Kim Jong-un, saying it hoped the "Trump formula" could resolve the stand-off over its nuclear weapons program.
"It looks like we are back to fire and fury as the modus operandi for the White House again after President Trump (threatened) a new 25 percent auto import tariff and cancelled the summit with North Korea", said Greg McKenna, chief market strategist at AxiTrader.
Kim Kye-gwan said North Korea appreciated Mr Trump for having made the bold decision to work towards a summit.
Other images showed North Korean officials displaying a map of the site, including several major tunnel complexes they said were unused and completely operational prior to being destroyed. "They very much want to do it, we'd like to do it".
"His sudden and unilateral announcement to cancel the summit is something unexpected to us and we can not but feel great regret for it", Kim Kye Gwan said, adding that North Korea remained open to resolving issues with Washington "regardless of ways, at any time". "You talk about your nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used", Trump wrote. We'd like to do it.
"Sadly, based on the tremendous anger and open hostility displayed in your most recent statement, I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting", read Mr Trump's letter to Mr Kim, which was dictated word-for-word by the U.S. leader, according to a senior White House official.
It followed an announcement earlier in the day from the White House that Trump had cancelled the June 12 summit due to "open hostility" from Kim Jong Un.
It seems that now, North Korea has changed its tune, and Trump is sticking to his word and considering going through with the summit.
Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan, a longtime nuclear negotiator and senior diplomat, said in a statement carried by state media that the North is "willing to give the USA time and opportunities" to reconsider talks that had been set for June 12 in Singapore.
Stanford scholars discuss diplomacy's future after US-North Korea summit is canceled
"We again state to the U.S. our willingness to sit face-to-face at any time in any form to resolve the problem", Mr Kim added. "And if they are they are ready to do that then. we're certainly ready to have those conversations", she said. It confirmed the mounting suspicions of the president's aides that North Korea was not serious about the talks.
South Korea's Yonhap news agency said Friday that Gen. Vincent Brooks made the comments during a seminar in Seoul.
First, North Korea issued a statement saying it was still "willing to give the USA time and opportunities" to reconsider talks "at any time, at any format".
The presidential Blue House said it was trying to figure out Mr Trump's intentions in cancelling the summit.
The North Koreans were a no-show for a preparatory meeting in Singapore last week, part of a trail of broken promises, lack of good faith and poor communication prompting the president's decision, according to administration officials.
The senior USA official said the North violated a pledge to allow worldwide inspectors to monitor the supposed implosion of the test site.
Ms Choe, who has been involved in several diplomatic interactions with the United States over the past decade, said the North would not "beg" for dialogue and warned of a "nuclear showdown" if diplomacy failed. First, Kim's government backed out of planned peace talks with South Korea, citing joint U.S.
"Denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and the establishment of permanent peace are historic tasks that can neither be abandoned nor delayed", Yonhap quotes Moon as saying.
Pompeo says 'bad deal' with North Korea 'not an option' for US
Pompeo said a US-led sanctions pressure campaign on Pyongyang would not be eased until North Korea gives up nuclear weapons. It would be historic as no sitting USA president has ever met a North Korean leader.