Yobe School Attack: FG Confirms 110 Girls Missing

Adjust Comment Print

Whatever may have become of the "safe schools project" thrown up by the Chibok incident, one urgent imperative from Dapchi until Boko Haram gets finally and effectively vanquished is to relocate all girls schools in the Northeast from remote zones into metropolises that are far more hard to invade by insurgents. The notorious incident got worldwide attention and triggered a massive social media campaign Bring Back Our Girls.

The minister of Information, Alhaji Lai Mohammed has said that the Federal Government in collaboration with Yobe State Government will set up a Situation room to coordinate all information and progress report on efforts geared towards the rescue of Dapchi School Girls.

Information Minister Lai Mohammed, who was part of a delegation of ministers who met parents and teachers in Dapchi and announced the number of missing girls, also said police and security officials had been deployed to schools in the state.

The statement said Gaidam was reported as having told Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje of Kano State when he came on a sympathy visit to Government House Damaturu that military men were "unexpectedly withdrawn from the town (Dapchi) a few hours before the attack" on the girls' college in Dapchi.

Afolabi Sotunde / Reuters Relatives of missing school girls react in Dapchi in the northeastern state of Yobe, after an attack on the village by Boko Haram, Nigeria February 23, 2018.

Government officials have pointed out that after girls were stolen in Chibok, the administration of Nigeria's president at the time, Goodluck Jonathan, waited more than two weeks to acknowledge the kidnapping, a delay they said allowed militants to flee with the girls.

Bashir Manzo, whose daughter Fatima is among the missing, said the chances the children are merely hiding in the bush are slim.

The Minister disclosed that the Federal Government has stepped up efforts to rescue the girls and return them safely to their parents, saying the security agencies are working on many leads regarding the whereabouts of the girls.

Russians Fear Doping Has Sunk Their Bid To Fly Flag At Games
In this games, only those Russian athletes who went through the check-up of the International Olympic Committee could compete. Before Sergeeva's case, sources told Reuters the IOC was edging closer to restoring Russia's Olympic status.

"As far as we are concerned, the governor is still being fed with fake information about these poor girls."

It demands the adoption of Sharia law in all of Nigeria.

"The entire country stands as one with the girls' families", Buhari said in a statement.

"We are sorry that it happened; we share your pain".

"This is a national disaster", he said.

Boko Haram, whose name roughly translates as "Western education is forbidden" in the Hausa language, is trying to create a state adhering to a strict interpretation of Islamic law.

He was of the view that the terrorists must have found their way back to Yobe after they had been displaced from their stronghold in Borno (Sambisa), which could have led to the abduction of the girls.